Central Baptist Church Celebrates 90th Anniversary Today, the 11th of November 2018. Click here to learn about the past, present and future of Central Baptist Church
Below is an excerpt from a newspaper written in 1956 by N.S Ferris
MODERN BAPTIST CHURCH
The new Salisbury Baptist Church in Second Street was completed two and a half years ago. It cost £40,000 including the grounds, manse and a hall, and is one of the most modern of its kind in Southern Africa. The architecture is contemporary throughout and great attention has been paid to acoustics. The wall behind the baptistry is of plain face-brick, the roof in light duck-egg blue and the rear wall and gallery face in terra cotta. The main entrance to the church is set in a glass-panelled wall and a wrought iron staircase leads to the gallery.
New pews in mukwa furnish the main hall but the pews in the gallery have come from the old church.
The new church was opened in 1954 by the Rev. J. C. Stern, President of the Baptist Union of South Africa, this being part of the silver jubilee of the Salisbury church.
The old church in Jameson Avenue was designed and built by the first minister, the Rev. A. E. Brett. He was succeeded by the Rev. H. Guyton Thomas, and with a growing congregation, the plan to build a new church was largely the result of his drive and leadership. The present minister is the Rev. S. Hudson-Reed, formerly a chaplain to the South African Forces.
Follow us on Central Baptist Church Facebook page
Listen to the anniversary sermon by Pastor Asafa